COVID-19 Update for Australia
The COVID-19 pandemic and issues with travel restrictions have been challenging for international education and Australian study abroad plans.
The Australian Government has recently announced a package of student visa measures to ensure Australia remains a welcoming destination for international students for when the travel restrictions allow entry into Australia again.
The new student visa measures are:
- While the Department of Home Affairs has continued to process visa applications, they will recommence visa grants for student visa applications lodged outside Australia where all requirements are met.
- Student visa holders outside Australia will not be able to travel to Australia until COVID-19 travel restrictions have been relaxed. Travel restrictions are set by the Australian Government and are reviewed regularly.
- A visa fee waiver will be available for international students to lodge a further student visa application to complete their study, if they were unable to complete their course within their original visa validity due to COVID-19.
- The following eligibility requirements for a Post-study work visa (Temporary Graduate visa TGV subclass 485) will be relaxed for those who have been impacted by COVID-19:
- online study undertaken outside Australia as a result of COVID-19 travel restrictions will be counted towards the Australian Study Requirement for existing and new student visa holders; and
- graduates affected by COVID-19 travel restrictions will be able to apply for and be granted a TGV outside Australia (where they have met all the requirements).
- The Department of Home Affairs will allow additional time for applicants to provide English language test results if they are unable to take a test because of COVID-19. Additional time will also be provided to undertake biometrics collection and health checks where COVID-19 has disrupted access to services.
Study English in Australia can help to answer any questions you might have about studying in Australia in the future.
Send us an enquiry or apply online: