Business (Short Stay) visa (subclass 456)

Sunday 5 November 2023

Business (Short Stay) visa (subclass 456)

The Business (Short Stay) visa (subclass 456) is no longer open for new applications as of March 23, 2013. The work entitlements associated with this visa have been replaced by the Temporary Work (Short Stay Activity) visa (subclass 400). Furthermore, as of November 19, 2016, this visa has been replaced by the Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialise) visa (subclass 400).

For business people planning to visit Australia for a short business trip, such as attending a conference, negotiation, or meeting, without the intention of working in Australia, the Business Visitor stream of the Visitor visa (subclass 600) is available for application.

Visa Holders

Duration of the Visa

The duration of your visa was specified in the Notification of Grant letter you received. It is not possible to apply for an extension of this visa.

Permitted Activities

The Business (Short Stay) visa allows you to visit Australia for short-term business purposes, including business-related meetings, seminars, conventions, conferences, or networking events.

When granted a visa for a single visit, you are allowed to enter Australia for a maximum of three months. If your visa is granted for multiple visits, you can stay for a maximum of three months per visit.

Typically, work is not permitted on this visa. However, there may be exceptions for highly specialized and non-ongoing work, usually lasting less than six weeks for the duration of the visa.

If your visa has a 'No further stay' condition, you are not eligible to apply for any other visa (except for a Protection visa) while you are in Australia.

Your Obligations

As a visa holder and member of your family, it is important to:

  • Comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.
  • Avoid engaging in formal study or training in Australia that leads to a primary, secondary, or higher education qualification.

Work in Australia

There are strict limitations on working in Australia while holding this visa:

  • You are generally not allowed to work in Australia, except under very limited circumstances.
  • You must not perform work that can be done by an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent citizen.
  • You are restricted to the activities stated in your visa application.

Reporting Changes in Circumstances

If your circumstances change, it is your responsibility to inform us. This includes changes such as a new residential address, a new passport, or significant life events such as pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship, or death in your family.

To report changes in your circumstances, you can use ImmiAccount. If you are unable to access ImmiAccount, you can complete the following forms:

  • Form 929 Change of address and/or passport details - for updating your address or passport information.
  • Form 1022 Notification of changes in circumstances - for reporting other changes in your circumstances.

Failure to provide details of any new passport issued to you could result in significant delays at the airport and potential denial of permission to board your plane.

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)