School Sector visa (subclass 571)

Sunday 5 November 2023

Visa Information: Schools Sector visa (subclass 571)

The Schools Sector visa (subclass 571) is no longer available for new applications as of July 1, 2016. If you need to extend your stay in Australia, you must now apply for a Student Visa (subclass 500).

Visa Holders

This information is for individuals who have already been granted a Schools Sector visa (subclass 571) or have applied for the visa on or before June 30, 2016, and are still awaiting a decision. The following explains your rights and obligations.

You can use the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) to check your visa details and conditions.

Duration of the Visa

If you currently hold a Schools Sector visa (subclass 571), it will remain valid until the expiry date provided when your visa was granted.

What You Can Do with This Visa

With the Schools Sector visa (subclass 571), you have the following privileges:

  • You can study in Australia.
  • Once you have commenced your course of study in Australia, you may be eligible to work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and have unlimited working hours during scheduled course breaks. It is important to comply with State and Territory workplace laws.



As a student, it is crucial to comply with your visa conditions while studying and living in Australia. Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of your visa. Additionally, you must also comply with Australian laws.

If you wish to change to a course in a different education sector than your current one (e.g., transitioning from high school to a Diploma course), you will need to apply for a new Student Visa (subclass 500) as your current visa subclass will not be suitable for the new course or course package.

If you were granted your visa under streamlined visa processing (SVP), you must continue to meet the requirements for the visa grant. This means that if you seek to transfer to a different education provider who was not an eligible education provider before July 1, 2016, your visa may be considered for cancellation if:

  • It is within the first 12 months of your visa being granted.
  • You are not from a country that was Assessment Level 1 before July 1, 2016.

Check the specific conditions that apply to your visa through Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) or your visa grant letter.

Changing Your Education Provider

In addition to complying with your visa conditions, there are requirements under the Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) National Code that apply if you wish to change your education provider.

If you have not completed six months of your principal course (the main course of study you are undertaking) and intend to change your education provider, the ESOS National Code outlines the circumstances under which this may be possible. Generally, you will need permission from your existing education provider to transfer to another one, unless special circumstances apply.

Your education provider must assess or consider your request to transfer. All education providers must have documented procedures regarding their transfer policy. It is important to familiarize yourself with your education provider's transfer policy and the requirements outlined in your written agreement before attempting to enroll with a new education provider.

If your education provider does not grant permission for you to transfer to another education provider and you are unsatisfied with the outcome, you can utilize the internal appeal process with your education provider. If you remain unsatisfied, you have the option to appeal the decision to an external complaints handling body, such as the State or Territory Ombudsman or the Overseas Student Ombudsman.

Students Under 18 Years of Age

If you are under 18 years of age, it is essential to maintain adequate accommodation, support, and general welfare arrangements for the duration of your visa or until you turn 18.

If your welfare arrangements are approved by your education provider, you cannot travel to Australia until your welfare arrangements commence. The welfare start date is the date nominated by your education provider on the Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation/Welfare Arrangements (CAAW) letter.

If a student guardian is responsible for your welfare arrangements and they need to leave Australia without you, alternative welfare arrangements must be approved by the appropriate authorities. Failure to do so could result in the cancellation of your visa.

'No Further Stay' Condition

Some visas are issued with a 'no further stay' condition. This condition prohibits you from applying to extend your stay in Australia beyond the specified date on your visa, except in certain circumstances.

Reporting Changes in Your Circumstances

It is your responsibility to inform the relevant authorities if your circumstances change. This includes changes in your residential address, passport details, or significant life events such as pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship, or death in your family.

Please report any changes in your circumstances through ImmiAccount. If you are unable to use ImmiAccount, you can utilize the following forms:

  • Form 929 - Change of address and/or passport details: Use this form if you move to a new address or change your passport.
  • Form 1022 - Notification of changes in circumstances: Use this form for any other changes in your circumstances.

Quick Contact

Interested in visiting,studying,working or living in Australia?

Enter your details and we'll call you back. When it suits you.

- Please enter information in English
If your age is below 18 years, it is imperative that this form be completed by your parents.
+ Attach Your Resume (optional)